Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Recipe Wednesday - Super Easy - 5 Step - Chicken Tortilla Soup

I was trying to think of something I could do this year to keep me blogging regularly...and have it be something I enjoy. I came up with posting a weekly recipe! Cooking is something I have been getting more and more into recently and I thought it might be fun to share some of the things I like making (and eating). So, here it is, the first recipe...

Remember this post when I was craving Chicken Tortilla Soup (which is one of my favorites)? Well, I decided to make the recipe I found here (with a few additions):

1 serving = 4 cups
  (this info does not include toppings)
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped
* 1/2 medium green pepper
* 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
* 2 cups frozen corn
* 1 cup water
* 3 tbsp corn starch
* 2 teaspoons cumin
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (this wasn't spicy enough for me so I did 3/4 teaspoon and it still wasn't that hot)                                                                  
* 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
* 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
* 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
* 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans (strained and rinsed)

Topping
* shredded mexican blend cheese
* avocado, sliced
* tortilla chips, crushed

(This recipe makes A LOT of soup so make sure you use a BIG pot)

1. In your big pot saute the garlic, onion, jalapeno, and green pepper in the oil until soft



2. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot (mix the corn starch and water together before adding) (minus the toppings) and bring to a boil...I had to partially cover mine with a lid to get it to boil.



3.  After 15 minutes take the chicken out and shred (I used 2 forks and pulled the chicken apart in chunks).

4. Put the chicken back in the soup and simmer for an additional 45 minutes.

5. Serve in a bowl, topped with cheese, avocado and chips if desired.




This really did make A LOT of soup! I served it to 4 adults, we each had 2 bowls and there were left overs for the next day.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment