Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Recipe Wednesday - Dr. Pepper Ribs

On my quest to a healthier lifestyle/losing weight, and becoming a better cook, I took some of the money I received as Christmas presents and I bought myself a couple of cookbook type books. Two of books I purchased were from the Eat This, Not That! series. The first being a guide that helps with what to buy purchase/stay away from in the grocery store "Eat This Not That! Supermarket Survival Guide" and the second "Cook This, Not That! Kitchen Survival Guide". The following recipe is from the "Cook This, Not That" book and while it probably wasn't the healthiest thing I could have eaten for dinner, it was a heck of a lot healthier than the Outback Steakhouse Ribs it is compared to and well, I feel every diet should have a "Free Day". Plus, they were REALLY good!

So here it is, the recipe for Dr. Pepper Ribs:

* 2 racks baby back ribs (I don't like pork so I used beef instead)
* 1 bottle (2 liter) Dr. Pepper (you need to use regular, not diet. The sugar will help caramalize the meat plus, you aren't really going to consume the Dr. Pepper; it's more for flavor and even though you use it in the sauce it takes the place of brown sugar and maple syrup)
* salt and black pepper
* chili powder
* 1 cup water
* 1/2 tbsp canola or veggie oil
* 1/2 onion, minced
* 1 clove garlic, minced
*1/2 cup ketchup
* 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
* 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
* 1/8 tbsp cayenne pepper

1. Place the ribs in baking dish large enough to hold them comfortably. Pour in enough soda to cover, saving at least 1/2 a cup for the barbecue sauce. Add 1/4 cup salt and soak for 2-24 hours in the fridge. (I did mine for 24 hours).




2. Preheat your oven to 350degrees. Remove the ribs from the liquid and pat dry; discard the liquid. Place 1 cup of water in the baking dish. Sprinkle the ribs with chili powder and return to the baking dish. Cover the dish lightly with foil and bake for 2 hours until the meat is tender and nearly falling off the bone. 


(I made A LOT of ribs since friends were coming over and the oven wouldn't close! I came up with the idea of covering the open area with aluminum foil and it worked! Scotch tape was used on the sides to keep the foil in place.)

 3. While the ribs are in the oven, make the barbecue sauce. Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Saute the onions and garlic until they are soft and fragrant, then add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, cayenne and reserved 1/2 cup of Dr. Pepper. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce thickens.



4.  Heat a grill until hot. Brush the ribs with barbecue sauce and grill for 15-20 minutes rib (less meaty) side down on a cooler part of the grates. Flip over and cook on the other side until lightly charred and smoky. 


(Justin helped me with this part and I think he cooked them a little too long :). It's OK though, we like 'em charred 'round here)

5. Remove from the grill, brush with more sauce and serve.



I served mine with a potato dish (from the same book that didn't come out right...oops!) and a mixed veggie salad. The ribs were definitely the BEST part of the meal and I can't wait for them to come up on the "Free Day" schedule again! 

Here's the nutritional info (provided by the book) if you make these with pork. I made mine with beef and wasn't able to figure that one out.
Servings per recipe = 4
Serving Size = 1/2 rack of ribs

Cal = 490
Fat = 19g
Sat Fat = 3.5g
Sodium = 900mg

No comments:

Post a Comment