* 2 clovers garlic, minced
* 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, thyme, parsley, oregano, basil OR sage (you only need one of these. If you do dried, use 1 tsp instead. I used thyme)
* 1 lemon
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 whole 4lb chicken (make sure it's completely defrosted)
* salt and black pepper
* 1 large russet potato, sliced into 1/8" rounds
* 2 onions, quartered
* 4 large carrots cut into large chunks (I did 2 BIG handfuls of baby carrots)
1. Preheat oven to 450degrees. Mix garlic, selected herb, lemon zest, juice of lemon, and half the olive oil in a bowl.
2. Working on the chicken, gently separate the skin from the flesh at the bottom of the breast and spoon in half the herb mixture; use your hands to spread it around as thoroughly as possible. Spread the remaining half over the top of the chicken and season it with plenty of salt and pepper.
3. Mix the potato, onions, carrots, remaining olive oil, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Arrange the vegetables in the bottom of a roasting pan and place the chicken on top, breast side up. Roast 20 - 30 minutes, until the skin is lightly browned.
4. Reduce the oven temperature to 350degress and roast for another 30 minutes or so. The chicken is done when the juices between the breast and the leg run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted deep into the thigh reads 155degrees.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with the vegetables.
Overall, I am very happy with how this came out. However, next time (to save some cals/fat) I might try this with 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken.
Here's the nutritional info (provided by the book)
Servings per recipe = 4
Cal = 420
Fat = 10g
Saturated Fat = 2g
Sodium = 610mg